Shanghai Typhoon Research Foundation (2020) Projects
Oriented to the forefront of the atmospheric science, Shanghai Typhoon Institute (STI) of China Meteorological Administration (CMA), as endorsed by Shanghai Meteorological Service, established the Shanghai Typhoon Research Foundation (STRF) to support the research on tropical cyclone, marine meteorology, and regional numerical weather forecast techniques. The STRF (2020) projects are now open for application to international researchers who are interested in the following research areas.
I. Research Areas
1. Typhoon observation and data application technology
2. Variation of typhoon track, intensity, structure, and their mechanisms
3. Physical processes and parameterization of typhoon boundary and cloud-water microphysics
4. The technology of typhoon forecast and evaluation
5. Typhoon engineering disaster reduction and prevention, evaluation technology on the typhoon disaster risk and benefit.
Regional Numerical Weather Forecast
1. Theory and technology of satellite and radar data assimilation
2. Physical parameterization for high-resolution models
3. Representation of uncertainties of mesoscale ensemble prediction system
4. Interpretation technology of numerical prediction products based on observation
1. Air-sea interaction under typhoon
2. The physical process of mesoscale air-sea coupling typhoon model
3. Sea gale and fog process and forecast technology
4. Assimilation method of ocean observation data
II. The Funding Standard
The average fund is RMB 150000. The fund may be used to pay for the publication fee of the peer-reviewed academic journal papers signed by STI; the living allowance (RMB1500 / day) for the applicants’ visiting in STI and the international flight expenses for a round trip to Shanghai by the STRF Office. The living allowance (including food, accommodation, communication, local transportation, etc.) will be paid to the applicants as soon as they visit STI.
III. Application and Acceptance
Any researcher who is interested in the above-mentioned three research areas is encouraged to apply the project of STRF except for the full-time students.
The applicant is only allowed to host one STRF project and should be cooperated with a permanent staff of STI (the project sponsor) in the same period. If the applicant can’t be able to contact a cooperator, the STI will appoint one staff as the project cooperator.
The applicants are warmly encouraged to fill in and submit the electronic Application Form for Shanghai Typhoon Research Foundation (2020) (find in attachment) to email@example.com
before September 15, 2020.
All the project applications will be reviewed by invited experts following the regulations of STRF and the applicants will have the feedback in time.
The project will be approved formally after the project Implementation Form of Shanghai Typhoon Research Foundation is completed by the applicant referring to the feedback.
IV. The Project Implementation
The funded projects will be required to have assessment indicators and the sharing statement of intellectual property. The projects’ achievements will be jointly owned by the employer of the applicant and STI. The software projects will be required to provide all source program text and instructions. The published papers, patents, software copyright, operational systems will be required to take "Shanghai Typhoon Institute, China Meteorological Administration" as the first signer in the acknowledge and highlight the STRF.
The project should start in January 2021. During the approved period, the applicant will be required to visit STI for one - three months.
The applicant will be required to apply for the conclusion of the project three months in advance and submit the final research project report and the technical documents to the STRF Office.
The completed projects will be evaluate
d for four levels: excellent, good, qualified and unqualified. Projects that were not carried out as required or no publish achievements signed with the STRF will be unqualified.
The applicants of the unqualified projects may not apply next STRF application within three years.
The STRF Office
July 31, 2020
Application Form for Shanghai Typhoon Research Foundation (2020)